- Q - How much will it cost?
- £30 per month to train as many times as you like (up to 3 times per week) or £8 per lesson.
- Q - Do I need to buy any equipment?
- Not immediately - you can start in a track suit or judo-gi and we can lend you a bokuto (wooden sword).
- You can get a good bokuto for under £20, and a hakama and keiko-gi for under £100.
- A practice sword (Iaito - without a sharp edge) can be had for £3-400, or less second-hand.
- Q - Do I have to be fit?
- Not especially.
- Many people start Iaido after years of study of another martial art so our average age is relatively old.
- We have a tradition of special arrangements for people who have trouble kneeling.
- There are even one-armed Iaidoka.
- Q - How soon can I grade?
- When you are ready!
- Some people will be ready for their first national grading in about a year.
- Q - Do you have a system of regular seminars?
- Yes - the British Kendo Association and our local dojos organise many weekend seminars each year.
- Q - Do you have much contact with Japanese sensei?
- Yes - they visit every year to run a 3-day seminar.
- High-grades visit Japan (whenever possible) to gain individual instruction.